It's strange because I'm using the email addess I submited to
subscribe. Maybe it doesn't like my name :
"=?iso-8859-1?q?Forgeot=20Eric?=" kindly submited by yahoo (I
can't change this).

>separate issues. And neither of them has anything whatsoever to
do with
>the square or curved bracket often placed over notes in a tuplet.

I agree, I didn't say that we should confuse slurs or ties with
triplets, but the problem is only because of the multiple brackets
we are forced to use in order to notate slurs.

Jack Campin said :

>Just learn to read it that way.  And a triplet sign in ABC should

I can read it (even if it's not pleasant). But some abc software
can't and play badly the "legal" way of noting slurs.
If Barfly has no problem with this, that's good.
I've downloaded a mac emulator in order to try it but unfortunatly
I haven't managed yet to install a 7.0 system on the emulator so I
can't have a look at barfly. (I'd really like to !)

>between tieing and slurring on to the first note of a triplet,
and your
>suggested change would preclude that.

I suggest nothing like that. Many users seems to use ties instead
of slurs. I suggested only to make them both legal (in the
standard). What can do more can do less. I will try to use
brackets for slurs when it's possible. If not (if it may confuse)
I'll use - instead.

For Frank :

This tune (Springleik) was found on the website of Folldal
Spellmannslag ( http://home.no.net/janwes/folldal/ ) as an example
of the music of their area. Most of their tunes are after
Trondgård. If I remember well Jan Wesenberg has learnt some tunes
from Trondgård himself. You could contact him to know more. They
have released a CD, "Óslift", you should check it. Anbefalt på det
sterkeste !
I have a couple more I transcribed by hear, some of them are not
very accurate. Ask if you want them.