Forgeot Eric wrote:

>I can read it (even if it's not pleasant). But some abc software
>can't and play badly the "legal" way of noting slurs.
>If Barfly has no problem with this, that's good.
>I've downloaded a mac emulator in order to try it but unfortunatly
>I haven't managed yet to install a 7.0 system on the emulator so I
>can't have a look at barfly. (I'd really like to !)

System 7.0 was a bit buggy - try and get hold of 7.1, 7.5 or 7.6 as
they should all work better.

I've tried BarFly on a couple of emulators, Fusion (www.emulators.com)
and Executor (www.ardi.com).  Of the two, Fusion is free but very
complicated to install, and requires a Mac ROM image to work.  I couldn't
get any sound out of it (probably due to lack of the appropriate sound
card driver) but everything else worked fine.  It's DOS based, and you
have to re-start the machine in DOS mode to use it.

Executor is very simple to install and runs under Windows.  It doesn't
require a Mac ROM or any special drivers to work.  It doesn't support
Quicktime or the modern Mac Sound manager, so again it won't play, or
export midi, aiffs, QT Movies or pictures of the music in any format
other than PICT.  Ardi tell me that they are currently working to
support Quicktime, so this should improve in future.  Executor is
expensive, but the free demo version does everything but print.

If you need any help, mail me offlist.

Phil Taylor