| I will go out on a limb here and  say  that  the  GPL  has  nothing
| whatsoever to do with copyrights that apply to music.  In the US at
| least, unless you perform music that is exclusively in  the  public
| domain,  you  pretty  much  need  to  pay your dues to ASCAP/BMI or
| explain the their lawyers why you don't need to.

There is a problem applying the GPL to music.  The way it's phrased,
it really does apply mostly to software.  Of course, that was what it
was designed for.

| And anyway, I  don't  see  that  the  GPL  on  source  code  is  so
| enforce-able in most cases. I always assume that any code I release
| under   the   GPL   is   pretty    much    public    domain.     To
| subscribe/unsubscribe,       point       your      browser      to:
| http://www.tullochgorm.com/lists.html

The few tentative court cases over the GPL have pretty much validated
the  belief that it's a perfectly good copyright notice.  Despite all
the attempts by corporate PR to convince people that it's a  form  of
public domain, the fact is that it isn't that at all. In fact, it's a
combined copyright notice and license to use the code in certain ways
that would not otherwise be permitted.

One of its main purposes is to guarantee that companies  can't  steal
your  code,  claim it's theirs, start selling it, and charge you with
infringement for using your own code.  This isn't at all a  frivolous
concern; it's what commercial interests do.  And, of course, the same
thing happens with music.  There have been plenty of explanations  of
how  artists  find  that, because of the fine prints in the recording
contracts,  they  don't  have  the  right  to   perform   their   own
compositions without permission and paying royalties.

Some lawyers have proposed an interesting theory as to why there have
been  few attempts to challenge the GPL.  The simplest, of course, is
that a compay's lawyers are likely to read it and say "Well, you have
two choices. You can comply with it now. Or you can violate it, go to
court, lose, and comply with it then." Lots of  lawyers  have  stated
publicly that the GPL does a good job of protecting against corporate
theft.

But  there's  a  more  interesting  reason  for  the  lack  of  legal
challenges.  This one explains that if you challenge a license of any
sort, then for the duration of the court case, you can usually act as
if  the  default  laws for that sort of license were in effect.  Most
licenses restrict your rights, so a challenge is useful:   Until  the
court  case  is  decided, you can legally ignore its restrictions and
follow the law's default "fair use" provisions.

The GPL is an unusual license, however. It gives you more rights than
the  law does.  So if you challenge it in court, you are bound by the
more restrictive defaults until the case is decided.  And if you win,
you  are  permanently  restricted  to  those defaults.  Why would you
challenge a license if the only possible outcome would give you fewer
rights than those in the license?

The  lawyers  who point this out also like to mention that this is an
excellent reason for putting your code under the GPL.  It effectively
gives  you  a  copyright  that  will  never be challenged by any sane
lawyer, unless they have really good grounds  to  believe  that  your
copyright is totally invalid because you didn't write the code.

Anyway, you can read lots about this at fsf.org and gnu.org.