Eric Forgeot wrote:
> I think that the transcriber wanted to help people like me reading
> "D key ? oh, so there is 2 sharps in it".

But then, why not write K:Edorian % 2 sharps
instead of K:D % Edorian

> If I read EDorian I have to find my table with all the modes, find
> the right one, and then the number of accidentals  etc.

The problem isn't that big, is it? In Irish music there are quite few
(11) common combinations of mode and final:
G, D, A, Edor, Ador, Ddor, Dmix, Amix, Gmix, Em, Bm
And a few (9) less common:
C, F, E, Gdor, Bdor, Emix, Am, Dm, F#m
There are fewer combinations for which to remember the number
of sharps and flats in these than for the number of sharps and
flats in the usual classical keys, which are combinations of two
modes and twelve finals, 24 in all:
C, G, D, A, E, B, F#, F, Bb, Eb, Ab, Db
Am, Em, Bm, F#m, C#m, G#m, D#m, Dm, Gm, Cm, Fm, Bbm

You only have to reduce the number of possible finals to about 8
and instead increase the number of modes from 2 to 4, but not all
combinations are used.

I find it harder to remember the number of sharps and flats in the
more unusual classical keys than in the usual modes for Irish
music. If someone says C#m I have to start counting... If someone
says Gmix I know it by heart.

> Isn't the problem for mode instead ? We have the right key, but
> the right mode is after the %

This is a confusion of key and mode. If, as in the original example,
we have K:D %Edorian we don't have the right key! The right key is
*not* D, it is "two sharps" or "f# c#" to be more precise.
D means that the final (or tonal centre or whatever you want to call
it) of the tune is the note D and the mode is ionian or major (which
is the most common mode in western European music and
therefore the default mode).
They actually teach you wrong at school...

Getting back to the abc, I would prefer to have the notation
K:^f ^c
to K:D
because it simply means what it says and does not imply anything
else. Then you're free to place whatever you like in a comment
afterwards K:^f^c % "Irish" e minor

Henrik Norbeck, Stockholm, Sweden
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.swipnet.se/hnorbeck/         My home page