Jack Campin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

: I occasionally trawl Google to see where my email address might have
: got to and find out who is responsible for the 200 spams a day I am
: now getting.  This is a new one that affects everybody here:

200 spams?  Goodness, that's a lot.  Have you considered changing
your email address?

: http://www.mail-archive.com/abcusers@argyll.wisemagic.com/msg04233.html
:
: I don't know who those shitbags are, but they DO NOT have my permission
: to splash my email address over the Web where any scummy spammer can get
: hold of it.

There is a need for obfuscated email addresses, sad as the prospect
may be.  As for ANY scummy spammer, read
http://www.mail-archive.com/faq.html#spam
For a public site, they do do a good job of blocking spambots.

: Reproducing my email address on a public forum is theft pure and simple.
: This is as bad as anything Yahoo gets up to.

?  It's not theft, I can't see any way to call it theft.  It's just
dangerous.  The worst spam I've gotten has been from people
blitzkrieging my email server with every possible email address,
anyway.  It's really the spammers we should be attacking, not the
email address reproducers.

You think Yahoo is bad?  mail.gnu.org's mailing lists are terrible!
I was on a list that was freely indexable even by valid search engine
spiders, with absolutely no address munging.  You can bet I got off
that list like nobody's business when I noticed that.

: How did these filth get hold of our list?

Someone subscribed them to our mailing list.  Probably not
mail-archive.com; they just encourage people to subscribe them to
mailing lists.

Starling