On Sat, Aug 31, 2002 at 10:50:23AM -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Buddha Buck wrote -
>
> >Based on the
> >"first note medody" idea that's been bandied around, that would imply
> >that the melody was [d6]2B2B2, which would sound like:
> >
> >V:1
> >d6
> >V:2
> >z2B2B2
> >
> >which is rather too polyphoneous as a melody for my tastes.
>
> Well I'm sorry about that because that's precisely what I was trying to
> convey when I first posted the example.  It represents one bar in 3/4 time.
> The melody is d6 and the Bs (B flats in fact, since the piece is in F) are
> harmony.  It is a real example from a piece called Holmwood by the great
> English concertina player Arthur Clements.

That's fine -- I think d6 as a melody and z2[B2G2][B2G2] as a harmony
in F is probably a wonderful example of melody and harmony.  The two
voice measure I said is a good example of harmony, but as melody, it
it has too many voices.

One of the examples of the use of being able to find the melody is for
playing the tune on monophonic instruments.  So having an ill-defined
melody line doesn't work for that.

--
Buddha Buck                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"I will not die an ironic death" -- Scott Ian, lead singer for
the metal band Anthrax, after bioterrorist attacks using anthrax.