Bruce Olson writes:
| I had thought I had the simplest way to figure out sharps and flats
| on the key signature from mode and keynote graphed on a .GIF on
| my website. I was wrong. I found a much simpler way, as shown on a
| new .GIF there, SFMODE2.GIF. Most will probably not need it at all,
| the method is so simple and easy to do.
|
| Number letter notes in the order of sharps on the key signature
| (F=1, C=2, G=3, D=4, A=5, E=6, B=7). If the keynote is sharp add
| 7 (14 for double sharp), and if it's flat subtract 7 (-14 for
| double flat). Subtract mode number (1-lydian, 2-ionian, 3
| mixolydian, 4-dorian, 5-aeolian, 6-phrygian, and 7- locrian) from
| that note number and you get the number of sharps or flats you
| put on the key signature. If the number is negative it's the
| number of flats, and if it's positive it's the number of sharps.

This is the scheme that Michael Methfessel used in abc2ps.  It  works
pretty  well for the classical European key signatures.  In my abc2ps
clone, I added support for non-Western key signatures, so  I  had  to
half-eliminate  this  scheme.  But it's still there, because it turns
out to be convenient to write some key sigs  with  a  classical  mode
modified by one or two accidentals.  Thus I often write klezmer tunes
in, say, D freygish as "K:Dphr^F". The code uses the above scheme for
handling  the  "Dphr" part, giving a signature of -2.  It then builds
the list of accidentals from that and appends the ^F to the list.

I'd guess that this numbering of classical key  signatures  has  been
discovered independently by any number of people.