From: "Frank Nordberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, November 04, 2002 5:56 AM
Subject: Re: [abcusers] The > symbol and abc2midi

Phil Taylor wrote:

> >You've got BarFly, which can create MIDI itself, so why do you need
> >to bother with abc2midi?
>
> BarFly creates midi by first making a QT movie, then using Quicktime to
> convert that to midi.  Since Quicktime has no notion of key, time
signature
> or even what length of notated note corresponds to a given duration, the
> resulting midi causes untold pain to music notation programs, although it
> plays beautifully.

That's right. BarFly makes some of the best automatically created midi
files there are for playback, but they're completely useless for
conversion purposes.

> Something else I'm going to fix soon...

Great, as long as you remember not to throw the baby out with the bathwater!

Frank Nordberg
http://www.musicaviva.com
To subscribe/unsubscribe, point your browser to:
http://www.tullochgorm.com/lists.html