bert wrote:
| John Walsh wrote:
| >     Second question: I have a Chinese book of flute tunes, written out
| > much like abc, but in numbers, not letters. If I could read the Chinese
| > introduction, I probably wouldn't have to ask but...does anybody here know
| > anything about this notation? Is it particular to the flute, or is it a
| > general music notation?
|
| I once bought a simple plastic flute during a trip to China once. It
| looks like a recorder but has six holes, just like an Irish whistle (the
| same fingering, too). The accompanying note that demonstrates the
| fingering uses a similar (maybe the same?) notation. I don't know
| whether it is a commonly used notation or one reserved for the flute.
| What I could make up from the pictures (unfortunately, I don't read
| Chinese) is that '1' probably denotes the root of the scale (an F in the
| case of my flute). Notes from the higher octave have a dot above the
| number, those from the lower octave a dot below.

This is similar to a whistle tablature that you see in some
tutorials.  There are several variants, but the most common
uses one or two numbers.  The first number is the number of
the  top open hole (0-6).  For split fingerings, the second
number is the count of holes  closed  below  the  top  open
hole.   This turns out to be sufficient for whistles, since
more complex split fingerings are not really  needed.   For
recorder, you'd need a more complex system, since there are
useful split fingerings that are more complex.  Sometimes a
'+' is used to indicate the upper octave.

Thus, on a D whistle, the =c note would be "6 3" or "6  4",
depending on your instrument. The top hole (6) is open, and
the next 3 or 4 holes are closed.   Players  quickly  learn
that you can always make a note slightly flatter by closing
some holes further down  the  tube,  so  you  can  casually
ignore this well-known fact in the tablature.

I've  also  seen  an  "inverted"  form  of  this  notation,
counting closed holes from the top. Thus on a D whistle, ^c
would be 0 (no holes closed), and D would be 6  (all  holes
closed).

I'd suppose that people who don't understand zero would add
one  to  the  first  number, or they would use some special
symbol for "no  holes  open/closed".   There  are  counting
systems  still  in  use that don't have a true zero symbol,
but there's always a negative term available.

In any case, I've also seen  a  numeric  Chinese  notation.
It's  based  on  counting  notes from the tonic, of course.
I've seen examples  of  Chinese  and  Japanese  songs  many
centuries  old, in which the words were marked with numbers
that gave the melody.  It's a lot like  solfa,  really.   I
don't  know much more about it, though, or how standardized
it was/is.