John Walsh writes:
| ...  And as a corollary, I hope that people writing playback
| programs make it possible to reassign the letters H-Z, or at least disable
| the defaults.  I know Abcmus does.  It's a real drag to hear emphasis
| interpreted as an inverted mordent with no way of changing it.

Maybe as  a  reminder  we  should  see  if  there's  yet  a
concensus  on  just  what  the  syntax is for defining such
things.  I've tried to follow a few of the discussions, but
I'm  pretty  sure that I misunderstand most of what most of
the people say.  I've been considering implementing some of
the  ideas  for  some  time, but since the discussions have
generally degenerated to the point that I don't  grok  them
at  all,  I'm  pretty  sure  that  I  would  just implement
something entirely different that what others think is  the
perfect solution to all the world's ornamentation problems.

At the very least, we need to way to tell novices  "If  you
want to use the letter 'Q' to represent the 'foo' ornament,
here's what you type ...."

Is there a consistent way of saying this that a lot of  abc
tools  now  use?   Or  are  they all inconsistent with each
other?  Can we get a list of syntaxes that different  tools
now implement?