Bernard Hill writes:
| In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Henrik
| Norbeck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
| >There was a "standards committee" (or some similar name)
| >some years ago. Don't remember who was on it, but I think it
| >should be revived, with a chairman/leader.
|
| Just one comment: having a software developer in charge of standards is
| a conflict of interests. S/he can drive the standard in the direction of
| his/her own software.

Yeah, and I'd like to add that we also shouldn't have a  musician  in
charge  of  the  standard,  since  s/he can drive the standard in the
direction of his/her own favorite musical styles.

;-)

(Actually, there's an important reason  that  programmers  should  at
least be consulted regularly. There is a history of computer standard
committees developing standards that can't be implemented.  It  would
be good to avoid this.)