Buddha Buck wrote:

>>      The confusion in abc comes from the fact that there are a couple
>>of types of macros (or "macro-like entities") floating around:  First,
>>Phil Taylor's Barfly macros seem to fit the Hacker's definition nicely.
>>(Even his transposable macros fit, since the definition allows arguments,
>>and these take a note as an argument.)
>>
>I'm not sure I like the syntax 100%, since it distinguishes a particular
>letter as "the" argument.  Is there a way to write a Phil Taylor macro
>that uses an 'n' in the name of the macro?

Yes, this is one aspect of the syntax which bothers me too - you can't
use the letter n in the target string of a static macro, or use it
more than once in a transposing macro.  Intuitively though, the use
of consecutive alphabetical letters centred round a letter in the middle
of the alphabet, and the association between "n" and "any" was irresistable.
I haven't found this to be a problem in practice, but perhaps I ought
to allow the use of an escape, e.g. \n for those cases where the n is to
be taken literally, rather than to mean "any note".

>There is a lot of possibilities for combinations thereof, especially if
>it was written that during the macro-expansion phase, parsing would
>start at the beginning of the expanded text.  Phil mentioned a ~n3
>macro, that would perform a roll the way a piper would.  But I can
>easily see there being more than one alternative method of playing that
>someone might want to notate as ~n3, in the same piece.

I can't actually do that for ~ at the moment, because I haven't included
the tilde in the list of symbols which can be reassigned (only H..Z).
You could, however, do this for the trill.  There are lots of ways of
playing a trill, and you might want to use several of them in the same
piece (while keeping the same printed notation for all).  You can assign
the trill to several different letters:

U: T = trill
U: U = trill
U: V = trill

now you can write three different macros to specify how the three different
trills represented in the abc by T, U and V are to be played.  Turn the macros
off for display purposes and they will all be represented as a trill, turn them
off for playing and each will play in the specified manner.

Phil Taylor