> But why would you want to put :: at the end of the tune when :| is
> correct notation? Do you really want to see a repeat-both-ways barline
> at the end?

I don't, but just about everybody in the mid-18th century did - you
never see a single-sided repeat sign at the end of a tune.  If you
want to get the exact look of what they wrote, what else could you
do?  (As I wrote before, I would prefer to use :| and relegate H::
to the notes in the header).

> And a fermata over the final bar has no meaning either.

It does, but not the modern meaning of fermata; it means "here's the
stopping point when you're repeating this" (and I suspect implies
an everybody-bow chord).   Really it's a different symbol that
happens to look the same.  All of Young's dance tunes include it.
Sometimes it's in the middle, if you're meant to stop after the
A part.  You can work out what it means from the dance instructions.