Richard Robinson writes:

| Yes. Also all those Balkan ones, where it would be nice to write 7 as
| (4+3)/4, 18 as (4+3+3+4+4)/8, or whatever.

Actually, abc2ps and clones should handle this without  any  problem.
I've done this (with or without parens) in a number of tunes. The one
qualification might be that the '+' doesn't look  all  that  good  in
print.  It tends to overlap the 4th staff line, and it's too wide.  I
tend to use '.', mostly because it looks better.  Some  simple  tests
show that the parser isn't too picky about what's before or after the
'/'.  That's good for a music formatter.  It's maybe not so wonderful
if you're trying to write a player.

Another thing I did that was useful was to have the code that handles
the  Q:  line notice things that look like notes (2/4, 3/8, etc.) and
replace them with the actual notes.  Then I can write something like
   Q: 1/8 3/16=60
and it gets drawn with the two notes followed by "=60".   This  is  a
fairly conventional way of giving a tempo for such complex rhythms.

Not that I use Q: lines much. In fact, it's often more useful to just
produce the notes without a tempo.  So
  Q: 1/8 1/8 3/16 1/8 1/8
would draw the conventional 5-note rhythm tipoff for a kopanica.  Any
Balkan musician would know the approximate tempo.

I wonder if this violates anything in the standard? I think there are
other abc programs that will handle, say,
  Q: 1/4=120
in the usual way, and draw a quarter note for the 1/4. I just made it
do  the  substitution for any fraction that looks like a note length.
The original abc2ps did some of this, but it didn't always work; what
I did was more of a debugging job with a lot of Balkan test cases.