On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 10:55:03AM +0200, Guido Gonzato wrote:

> > > This is the old Mac systems issue, is it, of having to specify memory
> > > for each program individually ?
> >
> > It's not a big problem for any modern machine.  I think I could
> > probably use your file as is even on my usual library-transcribing
> > laptop (with all of 12Mb), but I try not to allocate more memory
> > to programs than is strictly necessary.
>
> Richard's collection loads in no noticeable time using JedABC; and I can
> jump to whatever tune I want instantly. On a 400Mhz, 64 Mb RAM Celeron :-)

It was A Mac Thing ... it used to be necessary to allocate memory
individually to each program on a system, and when my files got above
a certain size (now I think about it, it must have been the html-ised
indexes, rather than the abc itself ? I can't remember, and it probably
doesn't matter) they were exceeding the amount allocated to the browser.

--
Richard Robinson