On Friday 18 July 2003 11:25 am, Jack Campin wrote:
> [ ordinarily I do not attribute posters I respond to, but this is such
>   mind-blowingly offensive, arrogant, counterproductive authoritarian
>   shite that no way could I ever forget the name of the author or want
>   it mistakenly attributed to anybody else ]

Phew.  Some dried frog pills are in order, I think.

(Though for the Americans on the list, I should probably point out that in
Scottish terms, this isn't at all unfriendly.  Jack's just pointing out the
error of Steven's ways in a forthright manner.)

Steven's point isn't that bad, and is equivalent to the movements in
HTML/XHTML in recent years.

If I stick a doctype declaration on my pages saying XHTML 1.0, browsers will
attempt to render it in an XHTML compliant fashion.  If I f***ed up, then
it'll fall back to the methods it has for dealing with the bloated mess that
is HTML2.0 - 4.0.  There are good reasons for this; it's because XHTML is a
better way to go than previous attempts at a markup language.

Likewise, the intention here is to provide a new way of doing ABC.  Hopefully,
it will be a lot more featureful and be able to do a lot more than you could
express with old-school ABC.  However, to get there, we *have* to do things
differently.  ! is just a case in point.  Sooner or later someone will have
to bite the bullet and decide that it stays or it goes.  Whatever, all this
old-school ABC on the web won't be going away any time soon.  So it's better
to have a way of saying:  there is a clean way to do this, or there's a messy
way to do this.  It's up to you, but the clean way is what's supported.

The point is, this isn't a standards checker; it's a signal that the tune
contains something that just doesn't exist or work under 1.7.6.  It means:
deal with this tune as per 2.0.0, as it has some clever stuff in it.

And when someone wants something that ABC2 can't do, they can submit an RFE,
and it can become supported, not a buggy hack that breaks other people's
software.  Of course, if the standard is sufficiently open and flexible to
start with, it shouldn't be a problem...

Cheers,
Calum