Frank Nordberg writes:
| John Chambers wrote:
| > I can't think of a way to make a funny tie-in to music for this  now.
| > Maybe someone else can.
|
| Not so funny perhaps, but US orchestras tend to tune their instruments
| slightly higher than waht is common in the rest of the world.
|
| This is sometimes a problem for wind players and for wind instrument
| manufacturers who have to make special models for the US market.

Yeah, and there has been a  slow  inflation  of  "standard"
pitch  over  the  several  centuries  that we've had such a
concept. And the real leaders here are in Norway, where the
hardingfele  players  often  tune  as  much as a whole step
sharp.  Highland pipers have an A that's about the same  as
everyone else's Bb.  And so on.

One of the explanations that  I've  heard  is  that  string
players tend to be leaders in this race. The reason is that
if you tune your instrument higher, you get  a  louder  and
brighter sound.  It also destroys the instrument faster, of
course, but for a few decades you might not notice.

Orchestras don't seem to have as much  variability  as  the
smaller groups, though. When you're tuning to the oboe, you
don't have as wide a range. And an all-string group has few
limits other than when the strings (or the neck) break.