On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 05:04:14PM +0000, John Chambers wrote:
> Bernard Hill writes:
> | In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, I. Oppenheim
> | >The & operator may be used to temporarily overlay
> | >several voices within one measure. The & operator
> | >separates these voices from each other. Example:
> | >
> | >A2 E2 G2 A2|A B c d e f g a & A A A A A A A A & A G F E
> | >D C B, A,|]
> | >

> | So what does that mean?
>
> You first have to undo the line wrapping.  ;-) Then you get
> something that is equivalent to:
>
> [V:1] A2 E2 G2 A2 | A B c d e f g  a |]
> [V:2]             | A A A A A A A  A |]
> [V:3]             | A G F E D C B, A,|]
>
> This should all be on one staff, of course.  With only  two
> bars, it's not very motivating.  But if you only have a few
> bars like this in a larger piece of music, it can save  you
> a lot of typing and futzing with two voices that are mostly
> silent.

It occurs to me that part of the problem here is that the '&' just
doesn't stand out visually against the notes. I wonder if it would be
possible to re-use the existing V: notation - lowercase v: doesn't seem
to be in use (oh dear, cue "we're running out of letters")

A2 E2 G2 A2 | [v:1] A B c d e f g a [v:2] A A A A A A A A [v:3] A G F E
D C B, A,|]

Is that any more readable ? I think so, but I'm not sure.

In fact, the numbers aren't necessary, it's just substituting a
different marker (though the colon would be, to distinguish it from an
up-bow, and I bet someone else'll suggest the numbers if I don't ...)

> (For some reason, this example  reminds  me  of  the  piano
> piece  by  Mozart, which ended with widely separated chords
> for the left and right hands, plus one note in  the  middle
> to be played with your nose.)

grin.

--
Richard Robinson