    Richard> Increasingly, I begin to wonder if this should be seen as
    Richard> a fork.  I've been arguing the toss over a lot of these
    Richard> new proposals, on the grounds that they might as well be
    Richard> "done right" if at all, but I'm also beginning to wonder
    Richard> whether I'd actually be prepared to update to software
    Richard> that conforms to it, if/when anybody changes the code to
    Richard> do so.

I agree with this.  One thing that seems to me missing from this
effort is a codification of exactly where this standard is
incompatible with previous versions of the standard.  That is, not
where ABC which works with one or more current applications will fail
with a program designed to the new standard, but where something
written with a sincere desire to adhere to the standard will have to
be modified to adhere to the new standard.  The '*' for right
justification seems like an example of this, and midline fields with a
continuation character before them may be another.

--
Laura (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097  fax: (801) 365-6574