Hello,

I agree the site
(http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute/AboutTab.html) is not
really user friendly because you can only get the sources, and
maybe (but I'm not sure) the binaries from the ftp site, in a
folder that has disappeared now. I think the MSwindows binaries
were available, and since the author assumed "a very old version
runs on Macintosh Power PC platforms". It's probably possible to
get this binary file.

>Even if you do try, the source code of a program can rarely be
>compiled
>on a new platform without some tweaking.

as far as Abcm2ps is concerned, it needs no tweaking at all to
compile for mswindows or linux, you just have to type "make"
But it's true for some other applications it can be much more
tricky

>I wouldn't say an application is available for the >average
>user unless there is a ready-made and *tested* version of it for
>the OS he/she is using.

It's true most programmers consider it's a piece of cake to
compile, and even if it's not really difficult when you have the
makefile, it's often long and annoying for normal user to get a
compiler, especially for MSwindows users (average C compiler need
to download at least 50 Mb of packages). I don't understand why
they can't provide at least some old binaries to make their prg
more accessible, and update them from time to time (not necesssary
with each release). I managed to get a compiler for myself and
look how to compile because of this especially.

---- org message :

I see your point Eric, but it seems to me you're making a mistake
that
seems to be a bit too common here: You assume that the average
computer
user is able to take a C script, run it through a compiler and get
working program right away.

This list is heavily dominated by computer programmers, and I
suppose
for them this kind of things are all in a day's work.

The very concept of compiling a program is alien to the vast
majority
of
computer users. Unless you already have some experience in this,
you
would need quite some self-confidence and a rather desperat need
for
*that* particular application before you even starts considering
going
through it all.

Even if you do try, the source code of a program can rarely be
compiled
on a new platform without some tweaking.

So sorry, Eric. Although I suppose many of the programmers here
will
disagree, I wouldn't say an application is available for the
average
user unless there is a ready-made and *tested* version of it for
the OS
he/she is using.

Frank Nordberg
http://www.musicaviva.com