----- Original Message -----
From: "Jack Campin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, March 27, 2004 5:17 PM
Subject: Re: [abcusers] ABC and MusicXML

> Most people want GIFs.  But if they're going to do it on their own
> machines, rather than via the TuneFinder interface, the ABC better
> be straightforward and easily editable, since the usual reason for
> wanting a different score than the way it comes off the Web is if
> you want to change the notes themselves in some way.

OK, for the sake or argument, how about pdf?  We try to make a png available
(instead of the gif) as a draft and try to produce the other for "quality
print output".  An example, probably given before here is:
http://www.folkinfo.org/abctest/getpdf.php?SongID=2&paper=a4

> > If there were abc2MusicXML and MusicXML2abc converters, would it
> > possible to produce abc that always conformed to the same set of
> > abc "rules"?
>
> It would be, but it would throw away many of the distinctive things
> ABC can express.  For eample, look at the pibroch example in my modes
> tutorial.  I put the canntaireachd form of the music at the right
> margin as an ABC comment (it would be messy to include it as if it
> were a song text).  Unless your ABC -> XML translator retained the
> original ABC source, there'd be no way to recover that information
> after a round-trip translation.  What I've done there is perfectly
> standard and works in any reasonable ABC implementation, but it's
> not invariant under translation to anything else whatever.

The inability to recover that information would be what I want but, yes, I
do see it is important that abc can be entered and used in other ways.

> > One problem I have that has been commented on by Jack Campin for
> > one is that our abc is not always as clear to read as it could be.
> > I agree with that but on the otherhand, on a site stuggling to get
> > any contributers, the last thing I want to do is stipulate rules
> > as to how the abc should be written (especially given our main aims
> > above -  that it works on abcm2ps and abc2midi is the priority...
> > but it would be nice to improve in our abc for those who want to
> > read it) or even what software should be used (e.g. our main
> > contributer uses Harmony Assistant) as the tougher I make it, the
> > fewer will be willing to try.
>
> The answer to that one is a human editor.  How much is there on your
> site?  Maybe I could help if it isn't going to mean hours of connect
> time link-hopping.

Feel free to take a look. I've been promising to sort out long line abcs for
ages for example but never got round to it mainly as I know how long it
would take me... Everything as entered in abc form can be found at:

http://www.folkinfo.org/songs/allabc.asp

It's only a few 100K and < 500 songs. You may need to change the file type
or an extension on the download to get it to save or view.

> Only given a *very* sophisticated translator.  Why use ABC as an
> intermediate format if you aren't using its distinctive advantages?
> As a base for computer-translation-to-anything, XML is surely going
> to outdo ABC as its toolbase grows.  ABC only wins out when you need
> to tinker with the music yourself, and that needs readability.

The distinctive advantages to me are that it is very easy to store and makes
for a small compact file and that quality and reliable command line tools
such as abcm2ps I can run on the fly from the website (as well of course as
other good abc programs) exist.

Maybe one day perhaps a move to XML would make sense for me, but not yet and
when I started, I was quite keen to get out of the dt/mudcat songwright/midi
to hold songs thinking. One thing I will openly confess to is that I hadn't
realised how much there was to abc and the visual aspects. Also, whatever we
become (assuming we last as a site), I'd like to think we can at least
supply abc in a "visual user friendly" format in time.

Jon