On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 03:33:01PM +0000, John Chambers wrote:
> P J Headford comments:
> | Just a reminder ...
> | ABC is not just a computer thing.
>
> This is worth repeating periodically as a reminder of  one  of  ABC's
> main  features....
>
> One of the benefits of any plain-text data format is that  you  don't
> necessarily  need  any  fancy tools to read it.  Plain text does work
> against the fancy formatting, fonts, etc.  that you can get with more
> complex  tools.  But if you just want the information, plain text can
> be a lot better than the fancier formats.
>
> | >From what is being said on the list, I gather MusicXML would not have this
> | interface to the real world.
>
> MusicXML is intended as a computer-friendly music notation.  It's not
> at  all  a replacement or competitor for ABC.

But it's still plaintext ? You could read it if you had to, but no-one
here would want to (by definition. It's an ABC list). Myself included.
"Verbosity is not considered a drawback" they say. Not what we want.

As the starter of this thread, I can only point out that I wasn't
proposing MusicXML as a competitor or a replacement for ABC, I was
proposing it as a complement. ABC is nicer for humans, xml is nicer for
machines. Since we do hand our tunes over to computers to do things
with, as well as writing them on the backs of envelopes, some things
might be nicer for them to do in xml, if we could get the ABC back from
it next time we want to interact with it directly.

Though, having gone further into investigating this, I'm getting
my original enthusiasm into perspective <grin>. XSLT makes it _really_
easy to parse notes (or anything else) out of musicxml, which is the
tricky bit for abc. But having done that, it's not easy to see what you
can do with it. Have W3C really given us a toy language with next to no
storage ? The only variable type is a scalar, and they can only be assiged
to on creation; nor can functions return values. Odd. I think I must be
missing some sort of mindset thing.

--
Richard Robinson