On 1 Apr 2004, at 22:19, Christian M. Cepel wrote:

With this in mind, I've been struggleing while editing ABC lately.
I'm not real good at reading music or ABC on the fly due to learing
disability (latent cognition between reading and comprehending).

There's a few things that prove to be making reading ABC on the fly a
real difficult task.

I wonder what other people feel about my stumbling stones.

1. inline chords. Flotsom floating down midstream making navigation
difficult.

You mean guitar chords? I agree with you. They do interrupt the flow of information.

2. spacing on either side of barlines...  this actually is a very
helpful deliniation for me...  the problem arises with the numbered
repeats |1 and :|2...  all the programs I've tried only recognize
these 'tokens' provided they do not have those spaces I like so much
for readability | 1 aBc aBc :| 2 abc abc |

Yes. Bar lines are much more visible when they have spaces on either side. I don't have much problem with the numbered repeats though. You can, of course write them as | [1 aBc aBc :| [2 if you really need the space here. (The programs are correct to object to | 1 aBc aBc :| 2 abc abc |, since that's specifically declared illegal in the standard.)

Phil Taylor