> >The consequence is that it MUST be available to all the common languages
> >and platforms, either as a single executable, or multiple instances of
the
> >SAME logic, or even source code, Linux style.

I have a thought to interject here (I apologize if it's been mentioned
before). One possibly ideal solution to the multiple languages problem is to
express the parser in an intermediate language by which ABC parsers can be
generated in several languages. In particular, I'm talking about ANTLR
(www.antlr.org), which allows a user to create a parser grammar and then
automatically generate lexer/parser/parse tree walkers from that one grammar
in C++, Java, and C# (with Python on the way).

I'm no expert on compilers, but it seems like the only bad thing about this
solution is that ANTLR has a pretty strong learning curve, or so I hear.
I've done quite a bit with JavaCC, which is a similar parser generator that
has only Java output, and the grammar file for JavaCC is much clearer to
understand (very similar to a BNF spec, like Henrik Norbeck's ABC grammar.)

Jesse Plymale

P.S.: There currently is a JavaCC grammar for basic 1.0 ABC  in the ABC
sourceforge repository, which might be of interest to those talking here. I
was working on a JavaCC 2.0 grammar earlier this year, and still hope to
finish it, but got distracted mid-semester and never got anything checked
into CVS...