Paul Rosen wrote:

> What projects are there? My imagination leads me to the following. I'd love
> to know how else ABC could be used.
>
> Standard Notation
> Tablature
> MIDI Player
> Transposer
> Indexer
> Pattern Matcher
> Conversion to another format
> Instruction (probably needing fragments)

The obvious missing one that comes to mind is an Editor.  I'd have a lot of
trouble seeing how a general purpose parser as you've laid it out could work
for an application like Barfly, for example.

I have designed and partly wrote an Objective C based ABC parser (currently
shelved indefinitely), and tried to make it general purpose enough to work
for an editor app.  Reworking my design for that was both a frustrating and
educational experience, and gave me a great appreciation for what Phil
Taylor has accomplished with Barfly.

(Originally, I started writing my parser because I wanted four things: a
notation based ABC editor, something which would generate PDF output
directly instead of Postscript, something which would generate a new style
of Hammered Dulcimer tablature I had worked out, and finally, something
which would serve as a reference design.

My Mac can now read Postscript files directly into Preview and convert them
to PDF trivially, so I now use ABCM2PS for printing.  My HD skills have
passed beyond the point where I need tab anymore, but it would still be a
good teaching tool.  And what little ABC editing I do nowadays I've gotten
used to doing with Barfly.  So my motivations have waned considerably.  But
maybe I'll get back to it at some point because I still think it's a good
reference work, and I have ideas for a player program... ;)

-->Steve Bennett