This facility IS provided in the version 2.0 (draft) specification
Neil

John J Foerch wrote:

Hello,
Brand new abc user here. I was attracted to abc because it is written as ascii text, and so I can keep my music notes on paper and in computer files in the same syntax. I'm more interested in the application of hearing my notes as midi than as seeing them on the staff. It seems like one important thing is missing from the abc syntax-- some identifier for what standard is complied to by a given document. If an abc document could identify its version compliance to the parser, then it would never be obsoleted by changes in the standard. Any thoughts on putting a version identifier into the next release of the standard?
thanks,
John J Foerch