but,
DEBUG builds save it always incorrect. It saved as a .dot format even
named a .doc extension. and
Microsoft Word cannot open it. And Abiword will use almost all memory to
analyze when open this
dot file.
I don't know whether or not AbiWord will really save a document as
Microsoft word format like OpenOffice.
Maybe it's next step? ;-)

btw, I built AbiWord under Linux. It same as Windows.