Hi Peter, What is DAISY solution for Braille users?

I'm also interested in pointers to web/cloud TTS solutions.

Thanks, Pete

On 6/22/2011 11:40 AM, Peter Korn wrote:
Rich, Sylvia, all,

I think we have identified the key use case for extended descriptions in HTML video playback: for blind people who can hear.  Deaf-blind would simply obtain all of the text (captions & extended descriptions) and read them at their own speed.

All of this API discussion is predicated on the assumption that the blind user's screen reader should read these extended descriptions, with some programmatic means of pausing/continuing video playback while the screen reader reads the text (at a speed unknown to the video player).

But is this really the right answer?  We are seeing more and more TTS engines available, many in the cloud.  Why not simply have the video player optionally read the extended description, pausing the video while it does so?  This is how we do DAISY book playback - we don't expect the screen reader to read the book, we expect the book player to read the text.  Also doing it this way makes the result much more universally available.  And it opens things up for a human being to read the extended descriptions - again similar to DAISY.

Regards,

Peter