It's not very flexible. For example, you need to call several times if
you want to get an accessible having a role from desired set of roles.
Actually it introduces the basics of traversal API which must be handy
for ATs but these basics don't look enough.

Also I worry if document is mapped well always into role concept. For
example, anchor target is applicable to any DOM document but role of
DOM document accessible can be overridden by ARIA. If someone crazy
enough creates a widget (like listbox) based on document and makes
scrolling by passing '#' into URL then AT still might want to read
that widget starting from anchorTarget.

Thank you.
Alex.