Sorry folks. This is for the first and most likely for the last time. I
found the below message too important to resist the urge to post to the
list.

Dear all,

Today's Mid-Day edit begins by saying that you don't
need to be a rocket scientist to understand that the
chain of events starting from the Bhiwandi riots to
the desecration of Meenatai's statue and what happened
as an aftermath, to the serial blasts on the trains
yesterday, means somebody somewhere wants Mumbaikar's
to spill out on the streets and grab each other by the
throats.

Incidentally, these same somebody-- the faceless
outcasts that they still are-- have at least succeeded
in one part of their plan. Mumbaikars have actually
spilled out on to the streets.

The catch here is that they have failed to succeed in
the second and most important part of their plan: that
of getting Mumbaikars to grab each other by the
throats. Mumbaikars spilled onto the streets-- in a
collective show of the middle finger to those who
proposed otherwise.

I know very well that you are already aware of how
Mumbai stormed onto the streets to help the injured,
the stranded and soothe the injuries that were still
gaping along its life line.

There were capsules and capsules of streaming video
that showed them offering water and refreshments to
people stranded on SV Road and the Eastern and Western
Express Highways.

There were captures of students of Sydenham and SNDT
college, who camped at Churchgate station with the
sole purpose of offering a bed to those stranded at
the starting node of the life line.

And there was also that memorable grab of people
standing patiently in front of KEM Hospital-- all in a
serpentine queue, to donate blood. A result of which
has been a no-shortage syndrome, when it comes to
blood at all the hospitals where the injured are being
treated or are recuperating.

But this is not about all that. And yet, it is about
all that and more. It is about the sights I saw and
the people I met with, while travelling along the
Western Express Highway to Kandivali yesterday,
between 7 in the evening and one in the morning.

It is about that little kid and his grandfather near
Dadar, who, perhaps in the absence of anybody else in
the household, took to the streets with bottles of
water and packets of biscuits to contribute in
whatever way possible in managing the crisis. "Uncle,
you must be thirsty," the kid told me while offering
the bottle. A parched me drank gratefully. And I saw
in those eyes no fear. So what did those terrorists
think while planting the bomb? That was at least the
silent way of making one statement-- "Terror, my
foot.!"

It is also about those housewives in front of a
housing society near Santa Cruz, who were standing
with pots of piping tea, water and God only knows what
else to help those passing by. And they had this board
beside them which read "Beyond Borivli, Can Stay'. I
was lucky to get a cab, but there were people who were
trying to make it on foot. And they needed succor.
Rest. Shelter. It was raining.

It is about the autorickshaw driver, who finally
reached me home in the interiors of Kandivali at 1 in
the morning. And refused to take the night fare,
despite being legally empowered to charge extra. "Nehi
saab, aaj ki baat alag hai. Aap thik thak ghar pohuj
gaye, yeh hi kafi hai," he bade me goodbye at my
doorstep.

It is also about the dabbawala who provides me with my
dinner everyday. His shop is near the Borivli station,
where there was one of the biggest blasts at 6:34 in
the evening. Yet, at one o clock in the morning, the
dabba was there waiting at my doorstp to be picked up.
It didn't need a note. The piping hot food at such an
unearthly hour said it all.

The terrorists succeeded in synchronising a series of
blasts that stopped the Mumbai lifeline for somewhere
around seven hours. That was all that they achieved on
7/11. The trains were back on track by 1:30 in the
morning and they plied all through the night. I wonder
if the masterminds will consider this before planning
their next attack. I would urge them to-- if this
reaches any one of them-- to rethink. After all, what
did a year of planning, six months of smuggling
dangerous explosives, extensive netwroking and crores
achieve at the end-- arond 200 lives and just seven
hours of disruption? Bus! I won't budge for that. In
the deal they united more than they dreamt to rip
apart.

And by the way, I did not spot any member of the
celebrated Readers' Digest survey team yesterday on
the roads. Or perhaps they were there-- reconsidering
their statement.

I request whoever receives this, to forward it to as
many people as possible. At least that way, we will
build an opinion against these faceless faces of
terror

cheers anshuman