-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of rajesh
asudani
Sent: Friday, June 01, 2007 12:56 AM
To: accessindia@accessindia.org.in
Subject: Re: [AI] Concession in railways

***********************
No virus was detected in the attachment no filename

Your mail has been scanned by InterScan.
***********-***********

Hello Subramani

I do value your as well as others good experiences with railways and
also
realize that almost uniform guidelines are in place for granting
concession
tickets.
However, this does not falsify my original contention about rampant
arbitrariness by rank and file and ignorance on the part of superiors,
as
well as the linkage between recovery from salary of issuing clerk and
issuance of any erroneous concession ticket, howsoever done in good
faith.

Believe me, the railway staff looks upon disabled travelers with
concession
tickets, as a rule, as a ticketless lot at worst, and charity travelers
at
best.
And yes, I maintain that the chief motive for hyper vigilance in issuing
tickets and condescension after issuance emanate from monetary impact a
wrong concession ticket would have on the issuing/checking staff.

If railways has problems with disability certificates issued by various
authorities, it would do a world of good, if it requires this work to be
done by its own doctors who are scattered in every nook and corner of
the
country. this would solve the problem of multiple authorities issuing
railway concession certificates in multiple formats which are accepted
and
refused depending on the whims and fancies of issuing authorities. The
move
may also facilitate online booking, if railways is willing.

But I know, these are merely our outbursts in a forum which does reach
none
of concerned authorities. May we, collectively and voluntarily, at least
prepare a petition for all affected sectors individually and put it
forth
through proper channels as an intellectual exercise to bring about a few
desired changes?

Rajesh