From: AccessIndia [mailto:accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in] On Behalf Of
Ekinath Khedekar
Sent: Friday, August 21, 2015 6:05 PM
To: AccessIndia: a list for discussing accessibility and issues concerning the
disabled. <accessindia@accessindia.org.in>
Subject: Re: [AI] Khajuraho and konark

Dear Friends,

My friend is doing his PhD on literature which involves imagination by inborn
blind and limitations to such imaginations.

Learning few things from here, I am in the process of acquiring miniature
memorabilia’s of various structures and things around the world. I have got a
collection of old palaces in Netherlands, cathedrals, Eifel tower, Taj mahal
etc.

Basically, no description can complete the view that a sighted person can see
and enjoy. But 3d models along with good description can help blind person
visualise things better I suppose. Therefore, I had raised a question of
teachings to blind students about solar system, world maps, directions etc.

Sadly, not much is being done on it.

DO the experiment, ask a VI suddenly which direction he or she is facing. Most
of the times, they will struggle.

This is not to make fun of anybody to make them aware where do they stand in
terms of directions, position on the earth and so on.

No offense intended please.

Regards

On 8/21/15, Pranav Lal <pranav....@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is why, in such situations, I would try using the vOICe to
> remotely sense what is on the walls. You may be able to sense these
> carvings as dark lines. Be warned, these are 2d shapes so you will
> need a fair bit of imagination to visualize their 3d equivalents.
>
> Pranav

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do
something. And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do
the something I can do. What I can do, I should do. And what I should
do, by the grace of God, I will do."
EDWARD EVERETT HALE.