From: AccessIndia [mailto:accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in] On Behalf Of
avinash shahi
Sent: 01 January 2016 14:07
To: AccessIndia: a list for discussing accessibility and issues concerning the
disabled.
Subject: Re: [AI] My paragraph of the Day: Thank you Mr Narendra Modi for the
‘divyang’

How do we make it crystal clear that our fight is not with the Modi as
a person. However his suggestion of 'divyang' as the PM of a largely
uneducated country needs to be taken seriously. Why some of us always
think that the disability is apolitical subject. Its very much
political and we should politicize it to the extent we could.
Otherwise, non-disabled will leave us no where to bargain our fair
share.  We should not forget that the entitlements provisioned in the
PWD Acd are the outcome of the social model of disability to some
extent which aims to put burden on the society for the disabling
condition. Its unfortunate that handful of us think its a paid
campaign against Mr Modi. We are merely airing our views in the
publick domain which is vital for the strengthening of the disability
studies and the disability advocacy. Mr Subramani, I'm not that old
who could claim decades of experience of working in the sector. I'm
student and in my limited capacity as a writer I do my best in raising
serious concerns of ours. We successfully played our part in stalling
the passage of the faulty RPD Bill braught by the UPA II. We should
understand the importance of the publick debate and discussion which
hardly takes place in the disability sector. Its not that  only
writing to PMO merrly on twitter would solve our issue. There are
large sections in India who view disabled people as 'divyang'. and
formalizing of the term would do a great damage in the future. No
media house wants to publish anything about the ramification of the
'divyang' why? because there is an agreement with the suggestion. I
lament why we don't have publications taking up disability discourse
seriously. Its an opportune time to expose the politics behind the
terms 'specially-abled' differently-abled' and 'divyang'.

On 1/1/16, P. Subramani <subramani6...@gmail.com> wrote:
> well avinash, we must fight with the govt to get  these things done rather
> than asking the govt as to why you haven't done all these.   There is no
> reason for suddenly taking a hardline against the  after BJP coming to
> power.  Where were you people and others while the earlier govt was  ruling?
> Is this paid/concerted anti-BJP campaign?
> -Mail:  subramani6...@gmail.com
> Mob:  9738150192
> Facebook: facebook.com/subu.subramani.16

Avinash Shahi