An article about an amazing woman and a dear friend. Kanchan
Inner vision

By Jyoti Kalsi, Gulf News Report
Published: October 01, 2007, 00:41

This Ramadan is very special for Miriam Batliwala - because she has finally
realised her dream of setting up a vocational training centre to help
underprivileged
women take charge of their lives. The Women's Empowerment Centre and Network
(WECAN) is an extension of the D.M. Jariwala Orphanage and school in Mumbai
set up by Miriam's father 68 years ago.

Courses

"After my father, my sister and I took over the running of the orphanage, which
houses 200 girls. We wanted to start this vocational centre, not only for
those staying in the orphanage but for all underprivileged women because we
believe in empowerment of women through education and wanted to provide our
girls with skills that will help them to be confident and economically
independent," says Miriam.

WECAN now runs courses in computers, fashion designing, catering, health care,
yoga, gardening, arts and craft and English language. The spacious new building
is filled with the laughter of young girls, who were otherwise destined for a
bleak future. But for Miriam the journey has been long and difficult. Her
plans suffered a blow when in 1998, the original 100-year-old orphanage
building collapsed. She and her sister have worked tirelessly to raise the funds
for reconstruction and expansion, personally supervising every detail. "We
stood at the site through rain and sun and made numerous trips to small markets
in the back alleys of Mumbai to save money on plumbing and masonry items,"
recalls Miriam.

Dedication

Her achievement and her immense optimism, energy and dedication to social
causes are all the more remarkable because she is visually impaired. But nobody
who meets Miriam would ever guess that she is almost blind. She is a vivacious
person who loves to dance, play the piano, swim, play golf, travel to new
places and make friends wherever she goes. Besides running the orphanage and
vocational centre, she teaches at a school for visually impaired slum dwellers.
She also conducts yoga workshops for sighted as well as blind people and has
taught yoga in India, the US and now in Dubai.

Miriam belongs to a rich and well-known family from Mumbai and had an idyllic
childhood. Her world became blurred when she was 12 years old and was diagnosed
with macular degeneration of the retina, a condition that had no known cure.
But she has not allowed that to affect her life in any way, fighting every
challenge with courage, resilience and a positive attitude. "I believe in
counting my blessings. How can I ever complain when I have so much to thank God
for, and I see so many people with bigger problems than mine," she says.

Not different

Taking her cue from her parents, who treated her no differently from her
special
favours at school or elsewhere. Despite difficulties in reading her books she
did well in school and even continued her piano lessons by devising a way
to play without having to read the notes. At 13, she coaxed her parents to send
her to boarding school along with her sister and even played netball and
hockey at school.

"I was able to do these things mainly because my parents and teachers never
made me feel that I was any different from others and always encouraged me to
do everything that I wanted to do," says Miriam. In fact, her father insisted
that like every member of the family she too must learn to play golf. And
as is typical of her she took it further to a competitive level and has won
many golf championships. She cannot see the green or the flag, but her trusted
caddy, points her in the right direction and tells her the distance so she
knows how hard to hit the golf ball and which club she should use.

Miriam also won medals at inter-collegiate and interstate swimming tournaments
and even qualified for the college hockey team. But with her vision
deteriorating,
keeping up with studies proved to be more difficult. The last straw came when a
keen suitor arrived to seek her hand in marriage. "I did not want to marry
a rich man who would treat me like a possession. So I decided to flee. I
enlisted the help of an Italian friend to convince my father to let me go to
Italy
to learn Italian," she recalls.

Yoga

Yoga has been an important part of her life since her twenties and she is
qualified as a teacher of Iyengar Yoga. "I was fortunate to be accepted as a
student
by guru B.K. Iyengar, who gave me special training to teach visually challenged
students. Yoga has given me inner strength and balance, and I have tried
to share this knowledge with as many people as I can," she says.

Do your part

UAE residents can support WECAN by helping to improve the facilities. For more
information, go to
www.wecan-india.org

Ramadan

"Ramadan is a time for introspection, being grateful for all we have and
helping those who are less fortunate than us. I am truly thankful that my dream
has been fulfilled and that so many women can benefit from WECAN," Miriam
Batliwala says.

"I believe that we grow and evolve spiritually when we have a cross to bear. I
have certainly grown spiritually and hope my story gives courage to others.
It is best to live life to the fullest and achieve your full potential. This is
true inner vision," she adds.