Hi,

If that were the case, there would be no innovation at all. there is
never something inherently wrong with a technology that makes it
outdated; it's always that new features come up that make it outdated.
Having worked at Microsoft for a bit, and having gone through their
design specs, I can tell you that consistency in UI is one of the
important considerations while proposing a new product or UI design.
However, often, changes in functionalities necessitate new designs.
It's a matter of striking that balance. Office 2007 provides a whole
lot of new features compared to the 2003 version, and the ribbon
design just makes it easier visually to work with these options based
on several UI tests and studies conducted by Msft. Also, remember,
visually impaired community is not the only community that tech
companies need to look out for. I'm not saying that they shouldn't
carefully consider our needs, however it's not right on our part to
expect that this will or should be the only consideration for them. As
long as they provide sutable accessibility options, I don't see why we
should be unhappy with a company.

Oh, and in Office 2016 (might be available in previous versions of
Office too, I'm just not sure), there is a powerful search option, so
you don't even have to navigate through the menus.

Best,
-Kartik