All
Copying below a letter addressed to the Minister for Social Justice and
Empowerment.
Copying at Shri Prasanna Kumar Pincha's request.
Regards
Harish Kotian
Quoting:

The Hon'ble Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment

Govt. of India, New Delhi

Subject:
Some suggestions for urgent  consideration by Govt.

Respected sir!

Warm greetings from New Delhi!

The purpose of my addressing this mail to you is to request you to kindly
examine the merit of my following suggestions which, to my mind, have
significant implications on the lives of persons with disabilities:

1. Firstly, I would like to draw your esteemed attention to the recently
pronounced judgment of the hon'ble supreme court of India in the matter of one
Surendramohan  Vs. the state of tamil Nadu and others. This is regarding
appointment of a person with blindness to the post of Judicial Oficer (civil
judge). Though I have not read the full text of the said judgment, I am aware
that the said judgment was pronounced on the basis of the erstwhile Persons
with Disabilities Act, 1995 albeit we now have in place a way more progressive
piece of legislation, namely, the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act,
2016. The Hon'ble supreme court held that the respondents were well within
their right to fix minimum degree of disability at 50% in respect of persons
with blindness and also in respect of persons with speech and hearing
impairment.         It further stated that some ability to see, hear or speak
was necessary for the dispensation of justice. Thus, Shri Surendra Mohan whose
degree of blindness is 70% was disqualified for appointment as judicial officer
(civil judge).

Here, it goes without saying that under  the Rights of Persons with
disabilities Act, 2016, the  degree of disability is irrelevant in relation to
benchmark disabilities whose definitions  contain measurable parameters. The
definitions of Blindness, low vision, Deafness and hard of hearing do contain
measurable parameters. In other words, measurable parameters are in-built into
the definitions of sensory disabilities in the RPD Act.

Sir! My humble submission is that the aforesaid judgment will have adverse
implications on the career prospects of persons with disabilities, more
particularly, career prospects of persons with blindness. If I am not grossly
mistaken, it is quite possible that some blind people, maybe very few in number
are already working as judicial officers in states other than tamil Nadu.
Besides, late Shri Sadhan gupta, a totally blind person and a bar-at-law, had
served both as Additional Advocate-General and Advocate-General respectively of
the govt. of west Bengal with high level of efficiency. He was also an elected
member of Lok Sabha from West Bengal. Internationally speaking once upon a
time, the Chief Justice of the Federal Court of Germany, which is the apex
court of Germany was also a blind person. South Africa also had a blind person
as one of the judges of the apex court  there; and, I once had the honour of
meeting him.

Sir! To my mind, the said judgment of the Hon'ble supreme court of India in
Surendramohan"s case will frustrate the very purpose of the Rights of Persons
with Disabilities Act, 2016. The said judgment is liable to be misused against
persons with disabilities in general and against persons with blindness in
particular as this will provide a handle to the bureaucracy to deprive such
persons from being employed in various streams, such as, the civil services,
ministeriahl/clerical services, teaching services, ETC. for it may be
prescribed that certain amount of the ability to see or hear, ETC. is necessary
for such streams as well. This is a matter of grave concern.

In the above view of the matter, I humbly suggest that the Department of
Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities under your benign Ministry be pleased
to study the judgment and file a review petition before a larger constitution
bench of the Hon'ble supreme court taking, inter alia, the following grounds:

  1.  that there have been instances where blind persons have efficiently and
successfully served as judicial officersand judges both in India and abroad.

  1.  That the said judgment was pronounced based on the erstwhile PWD Act
which now stands repealed and replaced by the RPD Act as stated above.

  1.  That the RPD Act does not prescribe any degree of disability in relation
to sensory disabilities as measurable parameters are in-built into their
definitions.

  1.  That the said judgment will frustrate the very purpose of the RPD Act and
it militates against the principles of equality and non-discrimination.

  1.  the said judgment will drastically reduce employment opportunities for
persons with disabilities in general, and for the persons with blindness in
particular; and that it is liable to be misused by the prospective employers
against such persons. Depending on the outcome of the suggested review
petition, if need be, the Ministry of Social Justice and empowerment Govt. of
India should, through a legislative measure undo the possible catastrophic
effect of the said judgment.

2. My second suggestion is with regard to the revised examination guidelines
notified by the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities on 29th
August, 2018 which has caused pronounced and simmering discontentment amongst
the blind and other persons with disabilities. These guidelines pertain both to
academics related as well as recruitment related examinations. In this context,
we must not lose sight of the fact that what has been notified contains
guidelines; and clearly, guidelines have no legal enforceability. The
guidelines are a matter of discretion of the concerned authorities. After
applying my mind to the issue, I feel that the concerns raised by a large
segment of primary stakeholders do have some merit. Besides, the concerns
expressed by some authorities which resulted in the revised guidelines also
need to be addressed to the extent possible. Being a blind person myself, I
know it for a fact firsthand how difficult it is in the first place to find an
appropriate emanuensis/scribe/writer. This, actually accentuates the tension in
the mind of the candidate before and at the time of the examination which
candidates without disabilities do not have to undergo. Many deserving
candidates may not be able to perform upto the optimum level of their merit and
potential because of inefficient emanuensis/scribe/writer. In fact they badly
suffer without any fault of theirs. It is equally true that the integrity of
examination related issues raised by some authorities need to be addressed. I
believe, this can be done in a variety of ways including by effectively
strengthening the invigilation, and by more properly and comprehensively
formulating the examination norms.

It would also be in the fitness of things on my part to suggest that in order
to ensure that the examination norms are uniformly enforced throughout the
country without discrimination, we should have in place an Act of parliament
which may be called the Examination Norms for Persons with disabilities Act.
Once the norms become a law, the aggrieved candidate can approach the
appropriate court/authority  for relief.

I feel that such a law should take care of the legitimate concerns of the
primary stakeholders, i.e., persons with disabilities, ensuring the integrity
of the examination. It is my belief that such a law is perfectly possible; and
it should be put together after thorough and threadbare consultations with the
representatives of the primary stakeholders. I would recommend formation of a
committee for putting together a draft legislation.

Here, it is pertinent to remember that though disability is a state subject
under the Constitution of India, the Union parliament can now enact laws in the
aftermath of India signing and ratifying the UN Convention on the rights of
Persons with Disabilities. Just as the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act,
2016  was enacted as a generic measure to harmonise the existing law on rights
of persons with disabilities, another specific legislation can be enacted to
harmonise the existing provisions with Articles, 24 on education, 26 on
habilitation and rehabilitation, and  27 on work and employment of the United
Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities. All this can be
done under Article 253 of the Constitution of India which empowers the union
parliament to enact legislation on subjects listed in the state and the
concurrent lists also if it is necessary so to do to fulfill international
obligation.

I do fervently hope that the Govt. of India will seriously apply its mind to my
aforesaid suggestions in the larger interests of persons with disabilities. I
will gratefully appreciate a response to my suggestions.

With very warm regards,

Prasanna Kumar Pincha,

Former Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities,

Govt. of India, New Delhi.

Former Chairperson,

National Trust for the Welfare of Persons with Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Mental
Retardation and Multiple Disabilities,

Govt. of India, New Delhi.

Caution: The Reserve Bank of India never sends mails, SMSs or makes calls
asking for personal information such as your bank account details, passwords,
etc. It never keeps or offers funds to anyone. Please do not respond in any
manner to such offers, however official or attractive they may look.

received this email by error, please notify us by return e-mail or telephone
viruses. The Reserve Bank of India accepts no liability for any damage caused
by any virus transmitted by this email.