From: AccessIndia [mailto:accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in] On Behalf
Of Payal Kapoor
Sent: Monday, April 22, 2019 7:04 PM
To: accessindia@accessindia.org.in
Subject: [AI] ICICI Bank questioning my choice of joint account holder on
ground of blindness

hi,
this sounds rather bizzare to me but, when working on opening a joint
account in ICICI bank with my sister, they seem to have an objection on the
ground that i may not know if she signs a cheque and withdraws money since i
am blind.
somehow, the same doesn't apply to either of my parents being a joint
account holder. doesn't the same apply to them going by their assumption? i
did mention that it was my responsibility and would worry about the
withdrawals; but they want me to look at it from the bank's point of view
regarding the presumed uninformed withdrawals.
they are to get back to me on this finally tomorrow and they may just deny
me an account; or maybe not.
what i want to know is- should there be any such objection on the part of
the bank at all? the choice of joing account holder is a personal decision
independent of the bank's concern and choice?
any insight will elp. i am willing to drop the whole joiing account thing
totally, but need to drive this point home first.
if there is any contradicting opinion about this, from what i understand,
i'd appreciate information.
Thanks,
Payal

sent through this mailing list..