Thanks, all. My aim in writing this post was to underscore the importance of
learning how to assert yourself, even when it is against your own family. Just
yesterday, as I was exploring accommodation options for my upcoming fellowship
in London, my father was insisting that I travel by taxi from my hotel to my
workplace, even though it is an accessible 10 minute route or take a more
expensive hotel just across the street from the office. You are not going there
to exercise, he said. If we need to pay personally to opt for more expensive
accommodation, we will. Someone from office can help you cross the street.

For someone who has always had sight, imagining a world without it always
remains impossible. Sometimes, persuasion is the solution; on other occasions,
simply learning to back yourself and the choices you make.

Best,
Rahul

Best,
Rahul

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 1, 2019, at 9:15 AM, Rohith P <p.roh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Enjoyed reading it, Rahul.
> I too can relate to many of your experiences. I recall how my
> "protective" family did not allow me to join JNU for MA.
> Regards,
> Rohith
>
>> On 8/1/19, Ajay Minocha <ajayminoc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Rahul, This makes me recall all your emails/posts which are rightly
>> mentioned in this outstanding piece.
>>
>> Although you certainly deserve a pat on your back for all your
>> achievements but according to me, your biggest achievement has been
>> the ability to trust yourself and ask all your doubts without any
>> hesitation.
>>
>> Saying this from my personal experience, it takes ounces of will power
>> to take that first step!
>>
>> All the best for all your future endeavors!
>>

>>> On 31/07/2019, George Abraham <geo...@eyeway.org> wrote:
>>> Enjoyed reading the piece. Certainly inspire many of us. I like your
>>> style.
>>>
>>> Best
>>>
>>> George

>>> me. I can see why that might seem odd to some. Why should a 25-year-old
>>> man
>>> living away from his family be noteworthy? Isn’t that just how things are
>>> supposed to be, they might wonder. However, when I step back to reflect on
>>> how my life has thus far unfolded from the standpoint of independent
>>> living,
>>> it becomes apparent why this has been such a significant development.
>>> Until
>>> I moved to Delhi to take up my first job, my life in my home town was very
>>> circumscribed.
>>> I’d have always access to a driver to get to places. Things like doing the
>>> laundry independently, cooking my own food or washing my utensils had
>>> never
>>> even crossed my mind. I always took what was at once both a privilege and
>>> burden and a blessing and a ‘golden cage’ for granted.
>>> In a country like India, in which the status quo essentially results in
>>> the
>>> disabled being relegated to the fringes of society, I have always
>>> recognized
>>> my good fortune in having access to the resources critical for me to make
>>> good the major deficit of having a severe impairment. However, the same
>>> resources which freed me from the shackles imposed by my disability
>>> sometimes handicapped me in other ways.
>>> When I was in school, I’d always be accompanied by a sighted helper who
>>> took
>>> me everywhere, took my notes for me, dropped me home after school and so
>>> on.
>>> Some of my classmates would sometimes speak with her rather than me when
>>> they wanted to find out how many marks I had scored in an exam, for
>>> instance.
>>> When I was around 17 and in junior college, I felt socially isolated,
>>> having
>>> no group of friends from school or junior college with whom I met on a
>>> regular basis. I posted about this problem on a mailing list for blind
>>> people, Access India. I got uniformly lambasted, and in retrospect
>>> rightly,
>>> for always going everywhere in the company of a sighted helper even at
>>> that
>>> age. It was then that I first recognized the importance of breaking free
> [...]
>>> sure, my concern with a parent living with me in Oxford was not the
>>> visceral
>>> reaction you might expect from some people my age, I would like to think.
>>> (When I told one American acquaintance that we were contemplating the
>>> possibility of my mother living with me, she immediately replied “Yikes,
>>> that would have been so suffocating!”
>>> No, I fully realized that this arrangement would, as a practical matter,
>>> make things easier. I would not have to worry about cooking my food, doing
>>> the laundry, keeping everything in an orderly fashion and so on. However,
>>> what outstripped all of these perceived advantages was a recognition of
>>> the
>>> fact that sometimes, doing what is hard and uncomfortable and seemingly
>>> insurmountable is the right thing to do.
>>> And so, after much back and forth, it was decided that my mother would
>>> llive
>>> with me for six weeks and then I would be on my own. Now, when I reflect
>>> on
>>> the last year, I think it would be fair to say that I have certainly made
>>> progress. I can do all the things I was worried about on my own, though
>>> perhaps not as skillfully as I might like yet.
>>> However, I still receive significant support from the Rhodes Trust for my
>>> nonacademic needs. In the coming year, my aim will be to make this human
>>> support unnecessary to the extent I can. Because I don’t see this period
>>> as
>>> just being about growing academically, attending interesting talks,
>>> writing
>>> challenging essays and meeting celebrities. It is also a period of pushing
>>> personal boundaries and finding new paths for self growth.
>>> Recently, when I got selected to pursue a summer fellowship in London, our
>>> same old conversation recommenced in my house. Making these arrangements
>>> is
>>> just a matter of a few years, my father said. Thereafter, you will get
>>> married and always have the support you need.
>>> Never having dated someone in my life, in part because of the
>>> circumscribed
>>> life I have lived owing to the self-imposed limitations I have often
>>> placed
>>> on myself,  I vehemently resisted this idea. However, I did so in terms
>>> that
>>> would turn the very same argument on its head. Which girl, I asked him,
>>> would like to marry a partner who does not even possess the wherewithal to
>>> live alone in a city like London.
>>> While I do not think finding a partner should be what motivates a person
>>> strive for greater independence, this response did achieve its desired
>>> goal
>>> of making him recognize the sheer absurdity of that argument which is all
>>> was hoping to achieve. What was until then an argument for dependence then
>>> became an argument for greater independence. “You have truly become a

>>> VIBEWA
>>> Co-Moderator
>>> VIB-India