Hi

This post did not get on the list.

Harish.

Quoting:

Subject: Training and Learning Outcomes From Accessibility Curriculum
(“TLOFAC”)
From: Amar Jain <amarj...@amarjain.com>
Date: 06-11-2019, 19:22
To: accessindia@accessindia.org.in

Training and Learning Outcomes From Accessibility Curriculum (“TLOFAC”)
Dear all,
Digital inaccessibility, if cured with the right knowledge and
strategies, can
be an extremely empowering tool for persons with disabilities in general
and
persons with blindness in specific. In doing so, we have to deal with
businesses
at the one hand in terms of the financial implecation, return on
investment,
business case for accessibility, and legal implecations.
Separately, we have to guide the developers in terms of the right
standards and
strategies to follow, along with addressing some of the common myths
associated
with accessible design. And the knowledge needs to be transmitted in a
way which
a developer can understand and implement in the right manner.
If one has the right conceptual and practical knowledge, then one can
obtain
international certification in accessibility domain from International
Association of Accessibility Professionals (“IAAP”). That opens up
plethora of
opportunities. And all of this results into direct community empowerment.
Theoretically speaking, while accessibility can definitely be learnt
using the
resources available in the public domain, but that requires enough time,
commitment to learn and unlearn things, patience, and most importantly,
dedication. However, accessibility is not limited to theoretical
learning. The
practical understanding of various development and business strategies is
equally important to implement accessibility in the right manner. And
there are
hardly any resources which document that experience in a comprehensive
manner.
Having practiced implementation of accessibility through advocacy for
last seven
years, and having obtained the international accessibility
certifications, I
realise the need to bridge this gap in a structured way by according an
opportunity of Training and Learning Outcomes From Accessibility Curriculum
(“TLOFAC”) to those who are genuinely committed to improve digital
accessibility
for persons with disabilities but lack the time, effort, experience and
knowledge.
Therefore, I propose to start a formally structured TLOFAC for those who
have
directly approached me in relation to their desire to learn and practice
accessibility:
1.      Duration: The minimum duration of the course will be for six
months,
extendable up to a maximum of 8 months, depending upon everyone’s
performance.
The classes will be conducted for a maximum duration of 90 minutes on
every Sunday.
2.      Self-learning and assignments: Merely attending the classes is
certainly
not enough. You will be required to read, learn, practice and complete
assignments every week.
3.      Platform: Primarily, classes will be conducted using Zoom
Conferencing
software which is the most accessible conferencing software, available for
Windows, Android and IOS. Web version is not recommended for TLOFAC. Upon
request, dial-in can also be provided should you wish to join through a
normal
phone call. However, this mode is not appropriate for TLOFAC.
4.      Structure: The TLOFAC will be structured in a way which helps
you appear
for at least one of the exams offered by IAAP depending on your ability to
absorb conceptual or technical knowledge. Any exam that you appear for is
separately charged by IAAP and is outside the purview of TLOFAC.
5.      Cost and out-of-pocket expenses: While I have my profession that
pays me
well and there are plenty of scope of enhancing my earnings, but the
technology
that we will be using for this course, the environment in which you will be
accessing your material, testing your assignments, and other factors
demand that
certain cost be born out for the same. Therefore, an amount of ₹5,781
(Rupees
five thousand seven hundred and eighty one) will have to be paid upfront
for me
to be able to setup the infrastructure required. You can pay this amount
using
online payment gateway (for ease of accounting) using mobile wallets,
credit and
debit cards, internet banking, and UPI.
6.      Requirements: a computer with reasonable performance, microphone
and
headphone, decent internet connection, and interest to learn the basics of
technical skills such as HTML is required. But please understand, this
is not a
technical course. For bridging the gap of technical learnings, one can
use the
various forums which are available in the public domain. TLOFAC is
designed to
equip you with the understanding of the technology agnostic standards to
help
developers implement accessibility. Technical knowledge of various
platforms and
implementation of accessibility are outside the scope of TLOFAC.
If you are interested, or require any more details, then feel free to
connect
with me.
Thank you.
Yours Truly,
Amar Jain
Certified Professional in Web Accessibility from IAAP
Mobile: +91-9892622230
Email: amarj...@amarjain.com