Mum cops put best foot forward for lawyer

Driven From Andheri To Vashi To Replace Her Broken Prosthetic

rebecca.samer...@timesgroup.com

Mumbai:

When criminal lawyer Carol Jagtiani’s prosthetic foot broke last week, little
did she know that help from Mumbai Police was a tweet away. Her broken foot
meant even if she arranged a car, making endless efforts to get a permit to
travel to Vashi to visit her prosthetist would be impossible. On Thursday
morning, she tagged Mumbai Police and few hours later, in “one of the most
beautiful experiences of my life”, she travelled to Vashi and back in a police
car, accompanied by a women cop, to replace her prosthetic.

She said, “This sends a great message to those living alone during the
pandemic, especially senior citizens, those with disabilities or suffering from
illnesses. There is someone watching out for all of us. I am a common citizen
and Mumbai Police did everything to help me promptly.”

In 2011, her right leg had to be amputated after a railway accident at Dadar
station. Undeterred over the years, the Nagaland native completed her law
degree and then commuted to work by train. She lives in Andheri with her sister.

Jagtiani said that on April 27 her “overused” two-yearold prosthetic broke. “I
did not have crutches and the spare one hurts too much. I tried to manage, but
it became difficult to even make my way to the washroom,” she said.

On a friend’s suggestion, Jagtiani opened her rarely used account and tagged
Mumbai Police. Attaching pictures of her prosthetic, she wrote, “My prosthetic
broke due to which mobility is not possible. Urgently need to go and visit my
prosthetist. I have no transportation of my own. I req help.”

Jagtiani said she did not expect a response. “An hour later, I was surprised
that cops replied within five seconds,” Jagtiani said. Over the next two hours,
between several calls, including those by Versova police, Jagtiani was provided
a solution. At 3 pm, a car arrived with a female cop and driver in masks and
she was driven to Vashi. “While getting my new prosthetic fitted, the cop and
driver waited patiently. It took over an hour. They dropped me home too,” she
said. With the cop, they got easy passage through check points.

She said prosthetics require regular maintenance and many using them now are
happy to know that help is close by during the lockdown.

Jagtiani added that during the drive, it was overwhelming to see only cops on
duty across the city. “While we spend time with family, they are out there
risking it, to keep us safe. They have our back. It is time to give them their
due and be more sensitive,” she said.

<https://epaper.timesgroup.com/Olive/ODN/TimesOfIndia/get/TOIM-2020-05-03/image.ashx?kind=block&href=TOIM%2F2020%2F05%2F03&id=Pc0020300&ext=.jpg&ts=20200503004733>

Criminal lawyer Carol Jagtiani (second from right