Very touchy and creditable indeed. Big salute to our Police.
Kalpana

-----Original Message-----
From: AccessIndia [mailto:accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in] On Behalf
Of Kanchan Pamnani
Sent: 03 May 2020 16:48
To: 'AccessIndia: a list for discussing accessibility and issues concerning
the disabled.'
Subject: [AI] FW: Mum cops put best foot forward for lawyer Driven From
Andheri To Vashi To Replace Her Broken Prosthetic

Mum cops put best foot forward for lawyer

Driven From Andheri To Vashi To Replace Her Broken Prosthetic

rebecca.samer...@timesgroup.com

Mumbai:

When criminal lawyer Carol Jagtiani's prosthetic foot broke last week,
little did she know that help from Mumbai Police was a tweet away. Her
broken foot meant even if she arranged a car, making endless efforts to get
a permit to travel to Vashi to visit her prosthetist would be impossible. On
Thursday morning, she tagged Mumbai Police and few hours later, in "one of
the most beautiful experiences of my life", she travelled to Vashi and back
in a police car, accompanied by a women cop, to replace her prosthetic.

She said, "This sends a great message to those living alone during the
pandemic, especially senior citizens, those with disabilities or suffering
from illnesses. There is someone watching out for all of us. I am a common
citizen and Mumbai Police did everything to help me promptly."

In 2011, her right leg had to be amputated after a railway accident at Dadar
station. Undeterred over the years, the Nagaland native completed her law
degree and then commuted to work by train. She lives in Andheri with her
sister.

Jagtiani said that on April 27 her "overused" two-yearold prosthetic broke.
"I did not have crutches and the spare one hurts too much. I tried to
manage, but it became difficult to even make my way to the washroom," she
said.

On a friend's suggestion, Jagtiani opened her rarely used account and tagged
Mumbai Police. Attaching pictures of her prosthetic, she wrote, "My
prosthetic broke due to which mobility is not possible. Urgently need to go
and visit my prosthetist. I have no transportation of my own. I req help."

Jagtiani said she did not expect a response. "An hour later, I was surprised
that cops replied within five seconds," Jagtiani said. Over the next two
hours, between several calls, including those by Versova police, Jagtiani
was provided a solution. At 3 pm, a car arrived with a female cop and driver
in masks and she was driven to Vashi. "While getting my new prosthetic
fitted, the cop and driver waited patiently. It took over an hour. They
dropped me home too," she said. With the cop, they got easy passage through
check points.

She said prosthetics require regular maintenance and many using them now are
happy to know that help is close by during the lockdown.

Jagtiani added that during the drive, it was overwhelming to see only cops
on duty across the city. "While we spend time with family, they are out
there risking it, to keep us safe. They have our back. It is time to give
them their due and be more sensitive," she said.

<https://epaper.timesgroup.com/Olive/ODN/TimesOfIndia/get/TOIM-2020-05-03/im
age.ashx?kind=block&href=TOIM%2F2020%2F05%2F03&id=Pc0020300&ext=.jpg&ts=2020
0503004733>

Criminal lawyer Carol Jagtiani (second from right

sent through this mailing list..