Hi friends,

If you have ever tried to tinker around with the iMobile App from ICICI Bank,
and you found yourself disappointed, fear not, because working together I
believe I might be onto something useful. Please read on as I have interesting
news to share.

Taking sighted help from my son, I managed to navigate the iMobile Pay app of
ICICI Bank with some very limited degree of success.

However I discovered from this that Talkback itself may be configured to make
the ICICI Bank App more accessible to us.

But first I need to describe the interface so you will understand more clearly.

After logging into the iMobile App, there are main tabs:

“Transact”, “Travel and Shop”, and “Discover”.

Under Transact:

“Send money”, “Bill payment”, “Recharge”, “Account and FD/RD”, “Cards”,
“Loans”, “Invest and insure”, “UPI Payments” and “Services”.

The above-mentioned sub-menus of the first "Transact" main tab are
context-dependent, so that they appear only when you touch the main "Transact"
tab. When you tap on Transact, Talkback activates the menu, but does not then
see the sub-menus below it, except the Services sub-menu item.

However, if we roter to navigate via links (swipe up and down in with Talkback
until we reach the navigate by Links), then we can swipe up to navigate by
links to reach the rest of the sub-menu items.

However, when we find an item we are looking for, let's say "Send money", then
if we double-tap on it, Talkback does not activate the item. I also tried using
the Talkback menu with 3 fingers single tap, going to Links, here it sees only
the active link, in our example "Send money" because that was where we last
landed on, but if we execute it from here also it does not activate.

So, If we can get Talkback to activate such context-dependent menu items, I
believe this will be the beginning of accessibility of the eMobile App of the
ICICI Bank, even if it will require navigating and activating the sub-menus of
the Transact tab only by links navigation.

We know that Talkback navigates through these as if they are links. If it can
then execute the item the way it activates links, we may be onto some
accessibility here.

Anyone familiar with the Talkback development team here?

Looking forward to some exciting possibilities. To conclude, if a developer
refuses to adjust the build of their App for accessibility needs, then if at
all possible if we can make slight modifications to the screen-reader to see or
activate such items, it can actually make a difference to other Apps also using
similar controls used in the development toolkit, if Talkback learns how to
see, navigate and execute those newer controls.

Looking forward to further replies. If you wish for a more technical discussion
you may instead write me off-list.

Kind regards,

Yamuna Jivana dasa