Living with Blindness as a Hare Krishna Devotee

Dear community,

On Wednesday 29 May 2024, a very pleasant and courageous Vaishnava visited
me at my home for the first time. Isvara Puri Prabhu, like me, is totally
blind, but I was surprised to learn that he has been living as an aspiring
travelling devotee for some time. What started as a social visit for
SadhuSanga turned out to be a discovery of many incredible shared interests
upon which we wish to explore jointly.

One of these areas regards the establishment of a community of blind
bodied/visually impaired  devotees world-wide. Presently he is hosting a
reading session group for Telugu speakers, and now we wish to extend into
the English speaking audience.

The following is a tentative program structure:

1. We have discussed Whatsapp as the most likely meeting client since most
people already use it, and since it is also reasonably accessible on the
various computer and phone platforms used by the blind community.

2. We will systematically read Bhagavad-gita from beginning to end, followed
by Srimad Bhagavatam, Caitanya Caritamrta, Nectar of Devotion and Nectar of
Instruction. Devotees who are able to read in Braille, from computer or
phone text-to-speech may like to take turns to read to the group. Reading of
the Sanskrit can be illiminated if the reader cannot read from their given
reading platform. This segment will last for 1 hour.

3. We can dedicate time to any other topics related to living as visually
challenged devotees, in which experiences can be shared and possible
solutions explored together. These may be requested by group members for
consideration in future meetings. This segment may last 30 minutes.

Examples of such topics may include things like living with visual challenge
in a  non-devotee family setting, navigating to temples, taking help at
temples, staying overnight, preference for on-line sanga due to mobility
challenges, the future for those of us living without sight, practicing
devotional service as our world changes, how the Vedic civilization may be
either supportive or disadvantageous to living as blind devotees, navigating
in a Varnasrama community being blind, and the level of acceptance and
assistance from sighted devotees in the various settings in which we find
ourselves seeking sadhu sanga.

4. The frequency of these gatherings are still tentative, but I propose here
once weekly during a Saturday or Sunday afternoon or evening to accomodate
most people outside of work and other commitments.

5. The conditions for participation shall be as follows:

5.1. The participant should be living with blindness, or have a very strong
affinity for, or experience in dealing with blind people. Taking turns to
read will be given preference to totally blind participants.

5.2. The participant should specifically have an affinity towards spiritual
life, but more particularly towards the Krishna Conscious way of life.

6. I'm still thinking of a short name for the group that will ring well in
English.

Anyone interested may contact me privately for further discussion. Should
you know any persons or groups fitting the target audience of this
invitation, please share with them.

With kind regards,

Yamuna Jivana dasa

Whatsapp No: +27 82 2916081