Absolutely well said, Payal!

Rajesh

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of payal kapoor
Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2008 4:19 PM
To: accessindia@accessindia.org.in
Subject: Re: [AI] your thoughts on braille

hi subramani

i agree with amit on the importance of braille in day to day dealings like
sighted folks do with print. having enjoyed the ability to read print and
later after losing my sight, learning braille, i an only say that nothing
can replace the pleasure of actually reading something for yourself . that
information absorbed is primary information and not based on the
understanding and perception of someone else who might read or narrate to
you. for instance, an audio book can do a certain job of creating an impact,
but you would agree that the voice reading would create a certain image in
your mind thus creating a distraction, but when reading on your own, the
images created are entirely your own and your own private world of whatever
you choose it to be. this i can say because i love to read and nothing can
give me that pleasure other than reading braille.

in terms of writing too, just as children are almost forgetting to learn to
write in their formative years thanks to technology, vc children too, idf
exposed only to technology would be left bereft of the ability to write thus
losing out on an important component  in their lives. this does definitely
not negate the need for technology to keep in sync with the rest of
mainstream society.

regards

payal