Dear Vijay,
       I am a retired Army Officer & have been familiar with maps
since the past 40 years. The two ways to point out anything on a map
were - use a long pointer (much like a blind persons cane; only three
times longer) or a small laser light torch (which throws out a tiny
ligjt point). However, for a visually challenged teacher, both these
will not suffice.
        What a blind person needs is an "intelligent map", where the
information of what the teacher wants to show, is fed in beforehand &
certain parts of the map light up when desired in the course of the
lecture. This can serve for sighted students only. Further, Research
on intelligent maps is still to be improved. For blind students the
only way is to teach one-on-one (one teacher to one student) on a
tactile map, this also will need work beforehand.
        with best wishes
        yours sincerely
        Col P Kapoor
        General Secy