Dear Vijay,
        Your map query was forwarded by me to two discussion groups
pertaining to the Armed Forces & the responses are enumerated below.
       With best wishes
       Pradeep
Sir,
He can take a map that has 3d images and the objects that he wants to
refer to are raised and can teach or use an electric selective map
that beeps if he is indicating a correct place or not and he can
memorise the map like this and teach.
hope it works.
thanks

ashokmor
Band of Brothers

Sir,

I don't know much on this subject but since I have plenty of sympathy
for the blind, and admiration for those of them who brave their way in
our wild world, I will offer my thoughts for whatever they are worth.

In order to make it easier for the teacher, you should only provide
maps that do not have too much information on it. So if names can be
printed in Braille, it would be simpler for him. Boundaries should
likewise be marked with perforated lines like in 'tear away' pamphlets
so that he can trace it by feel.

So if it is a history teacher, I don't think he will have much of a
problem. A geography teacher however will need to explain much more
than just boundaries. It may therefore not possible for your printer
to print maps in Braille which will give him 'tell-tales' on relief
features, contours, road maps, rail tracks, built up settlements, map
signs etc. If someone tries it I suppose the final outcome would be a
very highly dotted map that will only end up confusing him.

>From what I have seen on Discovery/Natgeo TV I think there may be some
software solutions to their problems, but of course they may be too
expensive for you to implement. Besides, your teachers would have to
be computer savvy.
shantanu sukul
Band of Brothers

" Dear sir
thanks for your query.

I am an active member of a deaf dumb and blind school committee since
over 15 years.
in addition I have run a blind children school for few years. I also
am in touch with blind people of middle age working in banks and
market who are our products.

2. Your query is how a blind govt school teacher can teach maps to
sighted students. I would like to advise you that elevated maps are
available in the market for all junior classes.
elevated maps are also produced and supplied by different agencies on demand.

Blind people are gifted in a special manner by the Lord and can grasp
some data which even a normal individual cannot .In any case you will
have to learn the lesson through the aid of Braille books only. Having
got the name of the place, Northing and Eastings right you can ask a
sighted student to point it or with practice you can point it.

Maps are divided into 1 cm, 10 cm blocks and no map is more than 4
feet by three feet in a class room. Have small Bindi's pasted at the
areas to be pointed at the time of preparation of lesson plans with
the help of sighted individuals. You automatically get an elevation
larger than the Braille dot which will help you.

3. I shall get you more information soon.

Blessings
Brig (Dr.) Ramanan
Indian Ex-servicemen Group

Sir,

        If some software company can give him an Interactive Voice
Response system which is connected to LEDs on the map. For e.g. if
the teacher says "Delhi" then the LED at Delhi glows and if he says
"GT Road" then the led along GT Road glows. LEDs are not very
expensive and such voice recognition software are already in existence
and not difficult to modify. The cmptr may have to be funded by some
NGO.

Just a suggestion. May be worked on
Regards
Shreekumar Menon
Indian Ex-servicemen Group

Sound Maps
Published Friday, May 12, 2006 by CCAer | E-mail this post

Canadian Cartographic Association weblog

All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the
Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Maps are generally a visual phenomena and don't lend themselves easily
to non-visual media. There are some maps called sound maps available
on the Internet that manage to combine sounds with maps, some more
successfully than others.

Tony Round has produced a sound map of the Kitchener-Waterloo area of
Ontario, Canada using Flash. The "map" is actually a collection of
black and white air photos stitched together and is zoomable and
pannable. Sounds are tied to a specific location and as the cursor is
moved about the map, different sounds come to the foreground,
providing the visitor with a sense of what the ambient sounds at a
particular location are like.

SoundTransit is not so much a sound map as a collection of sounds that
can be placed on a map. The user can select a departure and
destination city, specifying the number of stopovers they would like,
much how one would book a flight. The result is cobbled together,
depending on the stopovers chosen, and provided to the user as an mp3
file. The itinerary of the sound transit can also be mapped to a world
map.

The Berlin Sound Map takes a slightly more artistic approach to its
sound choices and is typical of sound maps in that clicking on the map
in a specific location provides a new sound. NY Sound Map operates in
a similar manner (click on the sound seeker image to view) but uses
the format of a Google Maps mash-up. The sounds available here are
more intentional than ambient (e.g. carousel at Central Park). The map
icons indicating available sounds are, however, difficult to see. The
Puget Sounds cape also provides a Google Mash up but it focuses on the
underwater sounds of orcas.
On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 7:48 PM, colonel A Sridharan
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Listening to Maps
There are multimedia maps that include sounds (see earlier posting on
Sound Maps). Then there are maps that rely on sound to convey the
data, meant for use by the visually impaired. The Human Computer
Interaction Lab has a story about how geographic data is listened to.

"Earlier digital map exploration combined tactile feedback and sound
to convey spatial information. While tactile feedback is potentially
useful, it limits interfaces ' accessibility and portability because
of dependence on special devices or hard-to-find tactile maps. The
standard computer keyboard is widely used by blind users. Its arrow
keys are natural means for relative movement in up/down/left/right
directions; the numeric keypad supports movement in eight
directions.And with remapping, the 3x3 numeric keypad can be a
low-resolution 2-D pointing device; users can track grid recursion for
three levels, providing resolution of 27x27 grid cells."

It is difficult to compare a large set of numbers by simply listening
to one after another; it is easier to do so by using music or pitch to
represent the numbers. Said one user: "Tones help me do things I used
to do with graphs."

Definitely worth looking at or listening to are the examples posted on
the Lab's website. Instructions and links to various demos are listed
near the bottom of the page. Clicking on a link will launch a Java
applet.

By way of Connotea
Col CPC Nath
Van Nuys, CA, USA
Indian Ex-servicemen Group

Join Access India convention: For updates on it visit:
Registration is now open!