Hi I am starting this topic taking off from Rajesh and Sudhir's comments on the
disabled being a class and that we do not vote. Cynics that we pride ourselves
to be have to now adopt a new tact.So get out of being arm chair critics and
commentators.
Elections are around the corner and we all must vote. How you vote is not my
concern but vote you must.
Yes I am disabled so it is difficult for me to vote- getting someone to go with
me to the booth, reading the names of the candidates, actually voting and then
answering the questions of others and a bunch of other difficulties instead of
enjoying my holiday.
However if you dont go see what damage you will do: 1. The Bombay, Jharkhand
High courts andthe Supreme court have ordered special facilities for the
disabled. So please use them and dont waste them.
2.The Election Commission has constantly taken a stand that there are not many
disabled who vote so we have to prove the EC wrong. this helps in making the
facilities better for the next elections.
3. You are part of the numbers that make up a class so if we are a big class we
get privileges in due course. Ensure that it is recorded that you are disabled
when you vote.
4. If you want to be part of Society and you want to be treated as a part then
do what everyone should be doing-voting.
 5. We are educated and the part of the educated middle class that should rule
but with our own apathy we lose our clout. Therefore we get the government we
deserve.
There may be several other reasons which I cant seem to remember this early in
the morning.
This year I hope not to hear from anybody on accessindia that they have not
voted. Whats the point in being cynical about others including the government
isnt it time we face ourselves and tried to push ourselves on this front as
well.

Kanchan