you may also try the following steps to enable Hindi language activated in your computer.

Read Me for Hindi supported version of JAWS

The following points are important to follow in order to use JAWS Screen Reading Program supporting the Hindi language:

Operating systems
This edition is compatible with Windows XP or higher, you need to have at least these operating systems and MS Office 2003 program installed on your PC which already has a Regional Language in-built and you do not need to have a Hindi version of MS Office but if you need to use the spell check feature it would be necessary. Please note that the new Hindi supported version of JAWS will not work with Windows 98 since it has been made suitable for Windows 2000, XP and Vista.

Activating Hindi language

In order for JAWS to work with the Hindi language, it is important to first make the following changes in the Control Panel:

For Windows XP:

1. Navigate to: Start > Control Panel > Regional and Language Options
Select the "Languages" tab
2. Check the checkbox option "Install files for complex script and right-to-left languages (including Thai) and tab down to "Ok" and press Enter. 3. Windows may require you to insert the original XP Program installation CD to complete the installation.
4. Reboot the computer.

Activating the Hindi keyboard

Now in order to use the Hindi keyboard you need to do the following steps:

For Windows XP:

1. Complete "Enabling Hindi Language Support" as above.
2. Navigate to: Start > Control Panel > Language and Regional Options
3. In the dialog window, select the "Languages" tab.
4. Select "Details" under the "Text Services and Input Languages" header.
5. Under the "Installed Services" menu, select "Add." This will take you to a dialog window which will allow you to add language input services, including assorted keyboard layouts for South Asian languages. Select the Traditional Hindi language under "Input language." Press "OK."

To use the Hindi keyboard you need to bring the same in focus so that you can type in Hindi and the text is displayed in Hindi on the screen. To do this press "Alt-Left Shift" keys to alternate between English and Hindi language input on your keyboard.

Localization in Hindi

The current version 9.0 is having the prompts in English, however the future Hindi version will come with the prompts in Hindi.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rohiet A. Patil" <patil_ro...@dataone.in>