To: <accessindia@accessindia.org.in>
Sent: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 4:28 PM
Subject: Re: [AI] Demands & Strategies put forth at the NationalConsultationon Issues related to Railways

Dear *Vamshi,* Great to know your experience but often they insist an escort with those with physical disabilities using crutches, wheelchairs and other assistive devices for mobility. I have seen few instances where they insist
an escort even for a blind passenger.

*Amar,* the right way is to have a uniform disability certificate with
necessary imprints on it with electronic data chip on the lines of
Credit/Debit Card/Vehicle RC. Mr. Nandan Nilekani is working on the NUID
(national unique identity card) project which will solve these problems to
great extent. This card will have all details in electronic form about the
identityy of the person and his entitlements.

*Mukesh*, there have been several instances of misuse which needs to be
checked by authorities. I am not justifying their ill actions and I agree
that there is an urgent need to sensitize the public dealing/clerical staff
of railway booking counters on Disability Etiquette. Yes, I agree that 3%
quota of the total train space should be pushed for so that it becomes easy
for the disabled and the elderly to travel with ease and comfort. That is
why a full 72 seater reserved coach and one unreserved general class coach
for the disabled has been demanded.

*Surya Prakash*, Railways are trying hard to compensate for losses that they
incur on free ships hence, they are not keen on adding the passengers with
Low Vision, but the fight should be on. There is lot of pilferage and if
this could be plugged, Low vision passengers could be easily accommodated in
the quota.

*Ashwani,* thanks for raising a very relevant point of concessions in
Rajdhani, Shatabdi and Jan Shatabdi etc. This demand is being pushed for a
long time with no success. Lower berth can be allotted if available as that
is given on first come first serve basis.

*Rakesh,* there have been instances of misuse and fake certificates. So
railways want to cross-check the veracity of DC (Disability Certificate) by
a CC (Concession Certificate) ! May be this can be done away with once we
have  the electronic ID Card in place.

regards,