From: accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in
[mailto:accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in] On Behalf Of Geetha Shamanna
Sent: Sunday, January 03, 2010 8:39 PM
To: accessindia@accessindia.org.in
Subject: Re: [AI] Spoken English with Indian accent for
teachingIndianstudentsneeded.

I think the best way to practice English comprehension is to listen to
stories and other material using Jaws. With Jaws, one has the distinct
advantage of being able to control the speed. In other words, one can set
Jaws to speak slowly until one masters the language.
I used Jaws extensively to listen to German text at slow speed when I
initially started learning German.

Another advantage is that one can have Jaws repeat a piece of text as many
times as required. This can also be done with audio tape or CD, but there is

nothing easier than arrowing up a line in order to read a piece of text
again and again and in the process also check out the spellings when
necessary.

Also, when using Jaws to read a piece of text, one can simultaneously have
an electronic dictionary such as WordWeb open in another window, pause
reading the text, and look up an unfamiliar word. This method can be hugely
beneficial when learning a foreign language, although the results become
apparent only a few months later.

Encourage your students to read as much as possible. There is simply no
shortcut to mastering a language.

Geetha